3.06.2008

New York , New York

This past Friday Renee and I spent the weekend in the Big Apple. She was kind enough to fly in and keep me company during my long stint here on the east coast. We saw Wicked on Broadway on Friday night. Best one I have EVER seen!! Stephanie J. Block who plays Elphaba (the Wicked Witch) was identical to Idina Menzel's version who was the original Elphaba and the one on the CD. I loved being able to see it with Renee since it was her first time. We both cried several times throughout the show. After the show the weather was horrible. It was raining and snowing at the same time. We were both starving and walked to the closest place we could find. Good old Ray's Pizza. It seems like everytime I travel to NY the only place I eat is Ray's and Fluffy's which we ate there a couple of times too! Needless to say we arrived at Ray's drenched and Renee was in pain since she decided to wear 8 inch heels to walk through the city. (She paid for that the next morning.) We ate and then ran to our hotel. The next day we did some sightseeing. It was great to see her. She is the funniest friend I have. We laughed until 2 in the morning Friday night. I am sooo sad I only took about 7 pictures the whole weekend. Thanks Renee I love you and already miss you like crazy lady!


Wicked!!!!

Alright, so I had to post this. Renee looked like a total Jewish (she's very Italian)New Yorker and I had to capture the shot. Kicky necklace Ren!

Me super excited to go to the WTC. I love this picture because I saw three women over the age of 80 wearing my hat. Obviously I am ahead of the times....The church directly in front of the World Trade Center. Everything around the blast was totally demolished. This church had trees and debree all around it and the church didn't have a scratch on it. Talk about God's grace! It was an amazing sight to see all of the signs and tributes they had to all of the lost victims. The front yard of the church facing the WTC


This beam was found in the yard of the church. It was in the shape of a cross. They left it there for a long time and then moved it to a church near by. It was nice to be with Renee seeing all of this. She and I were together on September 11th at college. We remember that day perfectly.

This was very moving. Above in the cross beams of the cross were notes that people had written for the loved ones they had lost.

2 comments:

The Dunnings said...

Melis,

Hey great pics. I know you said you didn't take very many but the ones you did take really meant something. Enjoy the city, wish I could come and we could go to Canal Street and WICKED, again!!! One more week to go miss you so much.

fmiles said...

yeah.. those were some pretty awesome pictures! i cannot believe that didnt make the news.. but i guess that the lives of all the 9/11 victims were much more important..but yes.. we miss you cant wait till you get home!! love ya!