7.26.2009

Want a quick dish to take to a party?

Hummus is not only a super quick recipe for a party but it is low in calories and it is heart healthy and super rich in Omega 6 fatty acids (“essential” fats that your body needs but can’t produce). I always buy it at the Co-Op in a powder form and add the olive oil. Tonight I thought I would make it from scratch since I had 6 cans of garbanzo beans! It literally took me less than 2 minutes to make this recipe. My favorite pairing with it is of course a warm Greek pita bread. That option isn't that healthy..... carrots, cucumbers, and even granny smith apples are wonderful with it. I have found that people either LOVE or HATE hummus. There seems to be no in between. I could literally eat the whole thing in one sitting. Ugh.... If you are looking everywhere for the Tahini (paste made from sesame seeds) go to the Co-Op or a International Foods store. They will definitely have it there.

  • 2 cups canned garbanzo beans, drained
  • 1/3 cup tahini
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon salt (don't add anymore than this! You can also do a 1/2 and be just fine)
  • 2 cloves garlic, halved (I like to cook my garlic a little before adding it)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 pinch paprika
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
  1. Place the garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, salt and garlic in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl.
  2. Drizzle olive oil over the garbanzo bean mixture. Sprinkle with paprika and parsley.

0 comments: